I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 5 September 2015

The Last Dregs of Alcohol




Hello all!  Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my Vintage Journey tiny houses - it was really touching to read them.

I've got an unexpected extra for you here that I'm just squeezing in before things kick off big time tomorrow.

I was a little perturbed when I saw that alcohol inks and glossy paper were involved in Tim's September tag.  I use the inks mostly for altering metal bits and bobs, though I do use them a lot for that.

And no bright colours for me - the inks I have are mostly rusty, burnished, autumnal tones, so that's when it clicked for me... leaves!

I missed all of the autumn crafting last year as I was working away from home and my craft table, so maybe that's why I'm leaping in early this year.




I think that this would work better with the Mini Autumn Blueprint leaves - these ones are perhaps a touch too delicate in their line to really hold their own.  But I don't have those, and besides, I quite like the subtlety of it.

As you'll see, it's hard to get a consistent photo when you've got glossiness and frostiness going on on the same tag.  It seems to change at every angle and in every light, but I hope you'll get the general idea.










The techniques are pretty much exactly following Tim's lead, so you'll find all the details over there but, as I said, my colours are way different.  I've got Rust and Ginger and Teakwood and Red Pepper and Currant with Gold Mixative.

I have to confess I wasn't patient enough to wait for the paste to dry, so I helped it along with the heat tool.  There are some tiny blisters and bubbles as a result, but I actually really love them!










The leaves are from the Daydream set, with the mini version from Nature Walk added in to make the third.  Oh, by the way I've no Frosted Sheets, so this is the Frosted Film adhered to Clearly For Art modelling film.











For the background tag I added Ground Espresso to the Pumice Stone and Hickory Smoke.  Can't put down the Ground Espresso!













I do love the transparent texture over the background - lovely effect.













I used some Jet Black Archival on the glossy flourish texture as Tim does, but then thought the whole thing needed a bit of a lift in my colour version, so I added some Florentine Treasure Gold too.













And I added a burnishing of Treasure Gold to my leaves too, just around the edges to catch the light.














The delicate line of the leaf image means that you get a real skeleton leaf effect...













... barely there in some lights.














And you do have to look closely to see the stamped images on the panel underneath...













... but I promise you they're there.













I fell head over heels in love with how Tim had fastened his WordBand to the tag.












I haven't got any of that really fine wire - or to tell the truth I think I have, but if you can tell me where in my craft stash it's hiding I'd be really grateful! - but I'm always happy to reach for the rusty wire.

Since that was what I had to hand, that's what I used.












I altered the WordBand itself with Treasure Gold and some Ground Espresso Distress Paint to fill in the lettering.










There's some more rusty wire holding my Ground Espresso-inked linen ribbon in place at the top of the tag.  Can you see how I had to hang it on an ivy twig to catch the last rays of the chilly afternoon sun?  How useful a tag hole is! 

And that's pretty much that...





... except to say again that, with my love of how light plays with us so that things change in front of our eyes, I'm really happy with the many faces of this tag.  In light or in shade it reveals different aspects of itself.





Thank you, Tim, for another adventure - so much on this one that simply wouldn't occur to me to play with, starting with those alcohol inks.







But who knows... they might get to come out for more than altering metal in the future.  I'm going to need new bottles of Ginger and Rust though - I'm down to the last dregs now!

Hope you're enjoying a great weekend.  As I said, there's mighty things afoot starting on Sunday evening, so I hope you'll be able to swing by again soon... happy crafting all!

Nature will bear the closest inspection.  She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain.
Henry David Thoreau

I'd like to enter this as my September tag in Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2015.

59 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

Oh so pretty Alison! It reminds me of tree bark and I love the skeleton leaves. Tim's version is great but, like you, I mainly have autumn shades. It's great to see how you have made it work in more muted tones. Lx

Helen said...

oh I might be around... lol! Love your tag, it looks fantastic!!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Wow, love this, those leaves are so so pretty!!

Corrie Herriman said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Alison ! Love how you interpreted the challenge !
Corrie x

Chrissy said...

The background is superb Alison with the swirls and colours and shine..beautiful...I love the leaves with their soft delicate appearance and gold edging..GORgeous tag.

luv CHRISSYxx

experiments in paper said...

Stunningly beautiful - all those rich, gorgeous browns! Your leaves are brilliant - skeletal leaves being one of my favorite things but so ephemeral; this is such a lovely way to be inspired by them. And what a perfect word band! So glad, also, to see your ivy apparently no longer serves as some critter's salad bar.... looking forward to your big news! xxx Lynn

Terry said...

Such a rich colored tag, Alison! I love those colors and the leaves are stunning with the touches of gold! Gorgeous tag! I have not had a visit to Tim's! Hugs!

Pawsitively Creative said...

Ohhhh this is gorgeous! I am with you on the lack of AI but you have more than used what you hand in hand to your benefit. This is better than the original! That subtle background is stunning and the feathers made me go awe! Awesome sauce interpretation! Hugz ~Niki

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous Alison! The background looks amazing and the foliage appears to be so delicate! Stunning!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I am with you Alison, I can't put the Espresso colour down either . This piece is gorgeous Alison, I adore the delicacy of the leaves against the rich backdrop which in itself is stunning. Love it. Tracy x

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow.. your tag is amazing, Alison. I love the gorgeous colors and beautiful texture. :)

Amanda said...

Great take on Tims Tag, love the leaves
Love
Amanda x

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous Autumn tag, love the leaves with the touch of gold and the background looks awesome.
Yvonne xx

Judys Lace Creations said...

What a beautiful tag. Makes us appreciate the beauty that is Nature.yes that technique is good isn't it- with the word/wire etc.

Anonymous said...

Oh Alison what a fabulous take on Tims Tag. The Ground Espresso looks wonderful and I'm loving all that texture too. The leaves look AMAZING! Karen.x

Shoshi said...

This is juicy delicious! Utterly gorgeous tag with that subtle, light catching background and the fabulous leaves with their touch of gold. I really love this!!

Shoshi

Beulah Bee said...

An excellent idea to use leaves and the burnishing of gold along their edges, lovely!

SueC said...

Fabulous tag Alison, the background looks like leather ! Sue C x

chrissie said...

Stunning tag with such wonderful effects that you have achieved. Good Luck with what ever kicks off today

Love Chrissie xx

Gerrittina said...

This looks great.

Claire said...

Beautiful, I love your autumnal twist on Tims tag X

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh Alison, I adore your version of the original!!! In fact this is now right up there with my favourites from you! Like you, the original made me gulp..... but you have just proven how the techniques can be adapted to something which is so beautiful!! I adore the leaves, they really look like skeleton leaves, the bits of treasure gold around the edges are just perfect too. To my eyes this tag has the complete wow factor, it truly deserves to be a winner!!!

Cestina said...

This is just lovely....dare I say that I much prefer it to the original? Such subtle effects...enchanting.
xx

Shirley said...

Beautiful Alison your interpretation is amazing.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Marci said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love skeleton leaves anyway, and you have made a superb tag.

sam21ski said...

Gorgeous xx

Kim said...

Alison, your take on Tim's tag is beautiful!. It embraces all of the splendor of autumn. The skeleton leaves are the perfect touch.

Sandy said...

Well I tell you Alison - I hate to get to the bottom of a good bottle of wine!

Sandy said...

As always, beautifully created!
Sandy xx

Shoshi said...

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, Alison, and I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing my Zentangle commission piece and the process of its making! It was fun to do. It will be fun to see it in print when the book comes out next year.

Shoshi

Nan G said...

Now that's an opening line...."last of the alcohol"....!!! tehe Got me to pop in immediately to see what butterfly was up to now. And omg .....as Hels would say " I lurves it" ! So ethereal so gorgeous...yours is much better than His. ;) Oh Wow! I think this is one of your best pieces ever. Hugs dear butterfly.

Gitte said...

Beautiful creation.

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous background to the tag Alison and those leaves looks stunning.
Avril xx

Hazel Agnew said...

I am so rubbish on techniques that I am going to have to do some research to find out what you are on about! But seriously Alison, this another of those annoyingly inspiring, get up off your bum kind of moments! I love this so much and want to live with it in your garden! Not got the espresso yet, but on my list! Xx

Hazel Agnew said...

Thanks Alison for dropping by my blog again! I did go to TH blog and studied it! All becomes clear now....or maybe a little frosty! Xx 😉

CreativSpirit said...

I really love your take on this technique Alison. The beautiful muted colours suit the leaves just perfectly.

Vintagehandmade said...

Absolutely stunning tag, Alison! What a fantastic background texture and fabulous technique! Love it to the bits! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such sweet comments! Hugs! Branka x

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful Tim Tag Alison - you really made it your own - love the leaves both vellum and stamped! Julia xx

froebelsternchen said...

This is just GORGEOUS Alison!

craftytrog said...

Background is gorgeous Alison, lovely Autumnal tag! xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Brilliant! I love your tag! I am determined not to give up this year but so many products I don't own again......I'll see! Chrisx

Kirsten said...

Oh my, how gorgeous is that??? The background looks wonderful & the leaves are so delicate & pretty - I love the TG around the edges.

Brenda Brown said...

Absolutely stunning Alison, I love the autumnal colours and textures and those leaves are to die for. xxx

A Pink said...

Stunning and absolutely exquisite! Alison x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Those leaves are perfect! They brought me back to a time when I was a young kid living in Ohio, sometimes in late fall you'd find those leaves who had rotted away except the skeleton--so lovely to behold but so delicate. Your tag defies words because it is so wonderful. I'm a sucker for autumn colors as well and you always get the right touch of rust, sparkle, shimmer and shine.

Lisa Minckler said...

You had my heart at alcohol...lol, BUT...then I read on and realized....'Ohhhh, that alcohol. I get it now.' ;) But seriously,Cripes! What the heck???? This is FAByouLOUS!! I fear we missed out so much not seeing your fall makes last year and now you are fully well forgiven...this makes up for it all. This tag embraces every element of Autumn that I love. Glorious!!
Big hugs to you,
Lisa x

Sue said...

Really beautiful Alison, I'm not ready to let go of Summer yet, but I love your Autumnal tag xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

No need for the brights, you rocked it with the vintage tones! LOVE the leaves too! Very cool take!!!

Unknown said...

If you're perturbed, I certainly can't tell, Alison!! :) :) This tag is gorgeous in its rich earth tones and golden touches on the leaves and word band - Love It!! XOXO-Shari

Deb said...

Stunning interpretation of Tim's tag Alison and, dare I say it, I much prefer your beautiful autumnal palette. The delicacy of the frosted leaves is perfect with your theme and the word band you chose says it all. Love the touches of gold and tying the word band on with the rusty wire was a great touch, the colour and patina blends so well with this tag. Thanks so much for sharing it, it is very lovely and make sure you get more alcohol ink so we can see more! Deb xo

Jackie PN said...

Incredible! A stunning tag in all of it's subtlety. xoxo

Etsuko said...

Absolutely beautiful!! Fab golden background, the leaves Oh!! what a fantastic idea and delicate shape! Love the tag Alison. xx

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh my word am I ever in love with this amazing tag! These leaves are tremendous! I just love your complete transformation of this month's tag, but the subtle notes of the concept left in there. Truly a work of art!

Lagene said...

WOWZERS! I love your fall colors, and the leaves turned out SPECTACULAR!

Lee-Anne said...

Love the warm colors and beautiful leaves! Stunning design!

Unknown said...

What a lovely tag! The gold on the leaves is just stunning and the background is perfection!
~~julia~~

Sue said...

Stunning! Gorgeous autumn color!

Elly said...

Puh..yes....i don't like bright also...and your variation of Tim's tag is to die for. Loooove it!! ♥

sarascloset said...

Wow! Love this 100 times more than the original, with your neutrals and those soft lined leaves. Just a lovely fall tag! And the glint of gold is perfect! A new Alison favorite of mine and pinned!